Odd/Even Watering Restrictions In Effect Due to Low River Levels
The City of Columbia Heights purchases water from the City of Minneapolis. As a customer of the City of Minneapolis, the City of Columbia Heights enacts all water use restrictions when notified by Minneapolis of a change. The hot dry weather this summer has led to extremely high water demands and as a result, the City of Minneapolis has instituted an odd-even day watering restriction. These restrictions are designed to save water and help ease the high demand on the Mississippi River. These restrictions will remain in effect until the restrictions from the City of Minneapolis are lifted.
The watering restrictions apply to ALL properties within the City of Columbia Heights.
Odd-even watering schedule basics: If the address ends in an odd number, like 2311, outdoor watering is allowed on the 1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th, etc., of the month (ex. July 1 or Aug 3). If the address ends in an even number such as 2310, outdoor watering is allowed on the 2nd, 4th, 6th, 8th, etc., of the month (ex. July 2 or Aug 4).
There will also be a Time of Day Watering Restriction: No watering may be done between the hours of Noon and 6 pm.
Exceptions will be made for hand watering of bushes, flowers, and trees. Vegetable gardens and new sod can be watered daily, but not between the hours of Noon and 6 pm.
It is required that all properties in Columbia Heights follow this plan. Set your automatic sprinkling systems to the schedule too to help recognize and respect our limited natural resources. Please call (763) 706-3700 Monday - Friday 7 am to 3:30 pm with questions.
Water conservation tips
- Water during the coolest part of the day to avoid evaporation.
- Water grass only when it needs it. Most lawns only need an inch of water a week.
- Install low-flow showerheads and faucet aerators.
- Take shorter showers using low-flow showerheads instead of baths.
- Turn the faucet off while you shave or brush your teeth.
- Load dishes into the dishwasher without rinsing them.
- Run the dishwasher only when it's fully loaded.
- Fill the sink to wash dishes by hand instead of letting the water run.
- Use a large pan to clean vegetables rather than letting the water run.
- Only wash full loads of laundry.